home assistant synology

When trying to start Docker, your Diskstation will hang, and then fail to start the Docker package. This will make our lives much easier. Actions, such as switching ON/OFF lights, are triggered by automation, voice commands, mobile apps, or controls on the Home Assistant web-based front-end user-interface. So, if I turn on a desk lamp in an automation, if 20 seconds later the desk lamp is off, then Home Assistant assumed z-wave is doiwn. All other commands are then just simple docker commands, which havent changed since I posted this. cmd : python -m homeassistant config /config, Synology DSM - Home Assistant Synology DSM The Synology DSM integration provides access to various statistics from your Synology NAS ( DSM 5.x and higher) as well as cameras from the Surveillance Station. I followed the HA installation instruction using net=host and also tried Bridge mode but neither way could get the Discovery component working. Good point about the path needing to exist! It will depend on your Internet speed connection. sudo chgrp dialout /dev/ttyACM0 So if you run Domoticz, it will fix the Z-wave issues without needing to pull the USB out? Note: Hass.io Supervisor is a bridge between Home Assistant and the operating system. It seems to have more configuration options. The Docker package is officially available from Synology, so you should be able to easily find it in the Package Center on your Diskstation. Im using DSM 6.1 Wonder if theres a cache issue? 14. Nice. The above command should show you any USB devices plugged into your NAS. However, when running the install command for Home Assistant on my Aeotec stick, I get this error message: Unable to find image homeassistant/home-assistant:latest locally, latest: Pulling from homeassistant/home-assistant, Digest: sha256:b9ae5ee6beeeff8b3dc7948a44f35c4bedb2ee3a1366af907fb926842efc629b, Status: Downloaded newer image for homeassistant/home-assistant:latest, 2b5d21093cfd9a35ab92892aa46a33627daede2db083d77ae306cf76b3ac1c69. So, to setup a scheduled task in Synology go to Control Panel -> Task Scheduler -> Create -> User Defined Script, Once in there, you can enter in any command you would normally execute via SSH. And I can Stop this container and Start the old one without issue, all from the DSM Docker GUI. 1. Not that Im aware of. Follow the instruction on screen to complete the set up. Thanks for checking out the tutorial on how to set up Home Assistant Supervised on a Synology NAS. Entities reporting the internal temperature and the uptime of the NAS. thanks for your promt reply and good to see that Im not alone (means Im not totally dumb ) Same run command as before. The issue I seem to have is that it gradually consumes quite a bit of memory. [ 74.605103] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device I have tried disabling the firewall, and also tried making a any allow rule.. none worked.. Does the Trdfri Gateway require a USB port? recorder: db_url: mysql://root: [email protected] :3306/homeassistant?charset=utf8 Insert your pasword and IP of your synology. ; Task Settings: Check "Send run details by email", add your email then copy paste the code below in the Run . WunderTech is a trade name of WunderTech, LLC. Inside the docker folder, create one new folder and name ithomeassistant. Ive tried starting a docker image with the commands that you mention above, but I keep getting an error ( https://gist.github.com/soccerob/8d8ba635c09f8e94e5a0d8db609ac4e6 ). Automation created to download mp4 video files from my Ring Doorbell and Ring Stickup Cameras using Downloader. The Synology DSM integration was introduced in Home Assistant 0.32, and it's used by, If you utilize 2-Step Verification or Two Factor Authentication (2FA) with your Synology NAS. However, I guess as its a lock its probably a good thing that it requires you to re-link, incase of a security breach. The installation process can take up to a few seconds/minutes. Great job! Home Assistant Container is still very much supported on Docker and Synology. Thats what I thought. This at least is true for DSM5. got HA up and running within docker , it has found a number of devices on the network all good. You might be better to use something like volume1/Shared/homeassistant, How can I identify what the Z-Wave USB stick is called? This is related to the fact that utilization information is stored in the core module. I just looked and its not there now. The help says run commands: I dont know if this will help, but at least its something for you to try. I get the error Start container home-assistant failed: {message:Bind mount failed: /volume1/Shared/docker/homeassistant/config does not exists}. The light on the Z-Stick is blinking and changing colour each time. 1) Create a script which will try to detect when z-wave is down. This also resolves the issue of non starting Z wave at startup at my Let me know how you go. When I start VMM I get a message I need to very the Hostsettings: Open vSwitch cant switched on automatically because there are one or more bonding-interfaces. I added USB bluetooth for BLE xiaomi sensors connection. Entities reporting the current and combined memory and swap utilization of the NAS. 3) Nope, still no clue on that one. On my version, I need to enter the username root. Note: Can I run Docker on my Synology NAS? Stupid me the Trdfri Gateway is connected via ordinary ethernet cable to the router so that wont be a problem Im a moron. What does your configuration.yaml file look like? Its all working without fail now. 16 BUT I also noticed two other field Devices and Volumes .. so Im wondering if these can be used. Go back toSTEP 1or you will deal with karma . For a quick start with Home Assistant on Docker in Synology, download my DSM Docker settings file for 0.63.2 here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1a-Xm3b6yCgKw0JP_Une8Fo20hzGST2AK This already has the localtime mapped, the Timezone set, the USB device mapped, etc. Hey Phil, quick question. Using any other account (even the admin account) just wont work. "enable_publish_all_ports" : false, @disqus_1nryP1XkYA:disqus I dont think so. Im getting the following in the logs: I would like to add a picture behind the peoples device name for tracking them, nog I dont get it done with this setup. I am using SigmaC FTDI (FTDI FT232R USB UART The HA help says the Z-Stick should have group of dialout and rw permission. If you have the Enforce 2-step verification for the following users option checked under Control Panel > User > Advanced > 2-Step Verification, youll need to configure the 2-step verification/one-time password (OTP) for the user you just created before the credentials for this user will work with Home Assistant. Can you help me please in order to gain access to volume1/Shared/docker/homeassistant/config in a UI way? But how can I start Home asistant from DSM menu? Im trying to set up ssl encryption but Im running into a wall. I store all of my things like InfluxDB, MySQL etc on the NAS, but all the automation work etc is handled on the nettop, which just runs Home Assistant now. HA lets you control and access your smart home devices on the local . -v /volume1/Shared/docker/homeassistant/config:/config Here were creating a folder on our NAS to keep the Home Assistant configuration files. Home Assistant has an official Dockerfile. Hmm. Youll see why this is important shortly. I originally thought it was faulty, so I did a hard reset of the z-stick. Nothing helps. Adding Synology DSM to your Home Assistant instance can be done via the user end. This sensor will wake up your Synology NAS if its in hibernation mode. Make sure youre using sudo in your command. Do you know if there are some logs somewhere that can help? Note: How to Clean Docker. Oh excellent! Step: see USB using PUTTY and cpmmand: ls /dev/tty* Another option might be to Install Portainer as a docker container. I tried running it on a regular debian install, and that was a pain as well Basically, if you dont want to run it on a rPi, youre in for a ride.. Works every time I try it. If you did, do you remember what you set it up as? There are sensors the report the current CPU load, separated by User, System and others. Is there any reason for this? Enable Advanced Mode in the account options. I wanted to know if and how the Supervisor can be installed as I have to subsequently install several applications via repositary. I have been able to configure several other components with HA, but cant seem to get this one working. I actually managed to fix this myself. Think of it as the GUI you can see from DSM, but much more powerful. Your tutorial seems very clear. icon: mdi:wrench The uptime sensor is disabled by default. Hmm, so I havent got that many things plugged into my Synology. 3. It should show all containers, but maybe it removes the old versions of images by default or something. For the lock, it was a pain, because it requires you open the lock and pull out the zwave component and put it 12 inches away from the controller. Theres usually a new release of Home Assistant out every 2 weeks. Well be using SSH to connect to our Diskstation to run commands on the Linux command line. I made dir manually, but I do not find configuration.yaml If i restart hass it wont come up and if i then restart the docker Container, all is good again for 24h. That will tell Home Assistant where to look for our Z-wave radio. ssl_key: /certificate/_archive/fyjQFl/privkey.pem. If youve used a flag like net=host or something (which isnt supported by the UI) then DSM may hide it from the UI so you dont break the container. Now that Advanced Mode is enabled, we can install the Terminal & SSH application. Open Virtual Machine Manager, select Virtual Machine, then Create, and finally, Import. Note: Find out the Best NAS Models For Docker. However the problem came back straight away. Select Import from OVA files, then select Next. Once everything has been installed (it could take some time the first go around), you should be able to access Home Assistant at the IP address of your NAS. Im no real expert with HASS IO unfortunately, havent used it too much. However I dont have a dialout group. 1. crw- 1 root root 166, 0 Jan 5 09:55 /dev/ttyACM0, I have a putty session to the NAS to run the ls -l that gives the result above. It is huge qty, but I have only Loading USB and Bluetooth USB title: Configurator And with the new Shortcuts app launched as part of iOS 12, additional opportunities are opening up. Follow the instructions in the image below. I have my MySQL container always up, it never gets rebooted. If that doesnt work, just check that you have enabled User Homes in your Synology config, as described in the article. If youd like to share anonymous information, feel free to do so and then select Next. Once we run this command, Docker will begin to start downloading all the files Home Assistant needs, such as the operating system, Python, and Z-wave. docker run tells Docker to run a container with the parameters were parsing. Would also suggest moving to MySQL/MariaDB instead of SQL lite (if you havent already). Since posting this, I havent seen the z-wave radio issues on reboot as I described. By default, your Synology allows basic access to the filesystem. mkdir: cannot create directory /volume1/Shared: Permission denied In this guide, I'm going to show you how to install it using Docker on a Synology NAS, with full compatibility with z-wave and network discovery. I received also https://gist.github.com/frenck/32b4f74919ca6b95b30c66f85976ec58. To link devices using the device flag, youll need to use the terminal Im afraid. Use at your own risk.WunderTech is a trade name of WunderTech, LLC. Once the device got detected, it works like charm as you have already explained. That sounds pretty irritating. My recommendation is to just run the docker containers yourself without the supervisor. But I need to instal Docker first. mkdir -p /volume1/Shared/docker/homeassistant/config. So, unfortunately youll need to do a rename or destroy the old container. Follow the instructions in the image below. It might work but not sure on the syntax to use on Synology. I then tried upgrading the firmware of the z-stick. I'll take you through the process step . User @patflest on the Home Assistant forums has tested these commands with DSM 6, and found that by prefixing the commands with HI Phil, If an instance was found, it will be shown as "Discovered", which you can select to set it up right away. https://www.wundertech.net/how-to-set-up-link-aggregation-on-a-synology-nas-lacp/, Adding Drives to a Storage Pool on a Synology NAS. A switch is available to enable/disable the Surveillance Station Home mode. it will be shown as Discovered, which you can select to set it up right How do you add more controllers given the limited number of USB-ports in the NAS just a USB-hub and thats it? As this is the only device I have plugged into my NAS, I can safely assume that this is my USB radio. Follow the instructions in the image below. Then follow the instructions to install that Python dependency using pip. When you create a container, you create it against a version of an image. Follow the instructions in the image below. Im stuck, however, because I dont run a docker command to start Hass.io. Only recently though. STEP 2 Install Docker via Synology " Package Center ". Set the users that youd like to manage the virtual machine, then select Next. If you have two or more NICs with different IP addresses from the same subnet and SSDP is activated, this leads to problems with this integration, as the NAS is detected several times with different IPs and the integration always adopts the new detected IP address in its configuration and then reloads it. If so you can specify the tag at the end, so instead of. It is a file database which has to be loaded into memory. So, enter your username as root and the password to your admin account. DSM will walk you through the process of setting up the one-time password for this user which youll then be able to use in Home Assistants frontend configuration screen. This may give you some clues s to whats going on. Im very new to HA / Docker. And asking your help. Because Im not command-line friendly and I like the ability to see the container running in the Synology Docker UI, see its processor/memory usage and restart it from there is it possible to get the commands required to map the USB in the container via Docker UI?. This tutorial looks at how to install Home Assistant (Supervised) on a Synology NAS! Home Assistant Download: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/alternative Written Instructions: https://www.wundertech.net/how-to-set-up-home-assistant-supervised-on-a-synology-nas Subscribe for more tech related tutorials and overviews: https://link.wundertech.net/ssYt Product Recommendations: https://link.wundertech.net/rmYt Check out our website: https://link.wundertech.net/wtYtDISCLAIMER: The information in this video has been self-taught through years of technical tinkering. This was one of the reasons why I created HA-Dockermon, so I could restart Home Assistant from within Home Assistant. At the end of the script, the start command is a systemctl command that fires up something called hassio-supervisor.service. Mental not, NOTHING important goes there, Hello, Could be a ownership permissions issue. Sorry Im running out of ideas. 3. So far, Ive rebooted my NAS a couple of times and both times Home Assistant and my z-wave network have come back up perfectly. Yeah you can give it access to /dev/zwaveusbstick. Also, it will be nice to note that the user needs to ensure that the path /volume1/Shared/docker/homeassistant/config exists before running the command (I had to manually create the directory). Balance-SLB Glad you got it sorted! May be homassistand did not make when started. Did I mention I am a newbie at this.? The virtual machine will take a little while to import, but after it does, the virtual machine will power on. Be sure to set the user as root if thats an option. It has a very wide range of device support, and, as of November 2021, it features support for over 2600 modular plugins or add-ons with system integrations to different IoT technologies; systems and services are available as integration components. How to Set Up Home Assistant Supervised on a Synology NAS, 3. Once youve installed the Docker package, start it. If youre running a newer version of DSM, you may not be able to login using the root username as described above. If you have more than one, you may get multiple items returned. Be sure to checkout the Home Assistant Website and of course forums! Thanks to can help me or show me a guide. I now tried pulling lroguet/rpi-home-assistant and that one did pull So.. must be something strange with the homeassistant/home-assistant docker repository? 2. It is always something as simple as that! Note: Check out my new guide on how to Install Home Assistant Supervisor. Select Upload a file from PC and Browse to the .ova file we downloaded, then select Next. Copy and pasted the commands exactly. However the fact that the path is being reported tells me that you might actually be able to just plug that into your YAML and use it. Just plugging in the files to the home assistant config directory isnt enough in this case. Then, rename the Shared the folder to something else using. 4. 3. Thats quite strange. I see FlowerCare in HA without addidtional activities. This is not what the HA zwave documentation says. Adding Network UPS Tools (NUT) to your Home Assistant instance can be done via the user interface, by using this My button: Network UPS Tools (NUT) can be auto-discovered by Home Assistant. We will install Home Assistant using Virtual Machine Manager. All I did was add in the settings from the Pushbullet docs on Home Assistant. usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0 12. [ 74.649489] usb 1-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0 Entity reporting the security status of the NAS. I guess I can run the rpi version inside docker.. but is that any better or worse? Im probably trying to jump in with too high a setup initially as I have a domain and HTTPS running and web apps hosted already on the NAS Im trying to get this working on Docker on a sub domain using an SSL cert (because my NAS was set already to convert port 80 to 443, force HSTS and all those fun things that just wont work when its not all set up right) Ive ended up using reverse proxying 443 on the ha.subdomain to the to the docker container on port 8123 but Im not sure how those are bridged or accessed really and Im not sure where Im going wrong I guess I need to go back to the inital setup again and do it in baby steps. Docker is NOT in the package center so i can not install Home assistant. After you click OK on STEP 5 a new warning pop up window will open. Again, this is a vm on your Synology. If I try the SSH command-line as you outlined above will I be able to see it in the Synology NAS Docker manager (start/stop it)? Disable those entities if you dont want your NAS to be fetch as frequently. Then plug it back in. Both upload and download sensors are available. Click FINISH. "enabled" : false. /volume1/docker/mosquitto/data:/mosquitto/data Manual configuration steps. As noted above, you do not need access to the DSM and Home Assistant will still be able to read statistics from your NAS. On the other hand, would you know how run docker and home-assistant off a usb drive on the Nas? Next challenge is getting mosquitto to run on the Synology. Once you click on User-defined script a new window will open. https://community.home-assistant.io/t/setting-up-mysql-on-a-synology-nas-docker-container/16253. Do you use a script (if yes, please share) or shut down the docker service entirely? 2. Thank you for that, now there is a bug into the latest Hassio and I would like to pull an older version, can you tell me what I can do to install a previous version? What is the Best Synology NAS Alternative? Thanks for the write-up Phil, it helped me a lot! If you have more than one device returned, I suggest you unplug your radio, re-run the ls command above, and see which number is missing. EDIT: Disregard.. From your SSH window, run the following command. For myself, I have the following USB devices plugged in. Entities reporting the current network transfer rates of the NAS. 1883:1883 After that, well want to put all the files from inside the shared folder back into the original location, so well use. Youll need to reboot Home Assistant once your MySQL is back up to clear it. 2. Reading this one in particular helped me to move my HA from a Pi 3 to my xpenology (a Dell T20 running Synology Is). type : rw Thanks for the heads up and info where to put the options.xml file! e.g. On Synology, our USB path is stored in the /dev/ folder, so lets try and find our USB stick in there. In my shared folder, I do have a Docker subdirectory with a homeassistant folder. But as I understand it is necessary to use your recommendations for Xiaomi BLE sensors (Clear Temperature ). Ugh no that sucks! You will be able to see them in the Docker UI of Synology. 3. Onboarding Install Home Assistant Container Synology NAS As Synology within DSM now supports Docker (with a neat UI), you can simply install Home Assistant using Docker without the need for command-line. { For HASS configuration, I have copies on my computer, which I use as my master then copy over to the NAS. Download the latest version of the VMware ESXi/vSphere Home Assistant operating system. Does it start fast enough to be ready when HA needs it? Can I use Lovelace as a GUI for home assistant running on my Synology. Any ideas? sudo chmod g+rw /dev/ttyACM0. Now I cant see all of my USB devices. (Ive tried both through GUI and CLI) I recently read a post that someone install it on the Synology NAS, which I've been using for a few years as a backup as well as a photo and video dipository. A UPS for the NAS might be a good investment in the future. Yep! MySQL is a database server (I run it in its own container), so theres no overheads for Home Assistant to worry about. I do have a volume called volume1 but I dont see any folders such as Shared, docker or homeassistant. If you want to add cameras from Surveillance Station, the user needs application permission for Surveillance Station. General: The information on this blog has been self-taught through years of technical tinkering. However it looks like someone has created a Docker container which will run this configurator. Mapping is probably not the issue. interface, by using this My button: Synology DSM can be auto-discovered by Home Assistant. 4. Can you try. ;). With the Home Assistant Operating System installed and accessible you can continue with onboarding. Go toFile Stationand open the docker folder. I discovered that those path are valid temporarily, the path in the default directory is the right path where the certificates are stored every time. 15. It seems the USB path is not persistent after stopping and starting HA, after a restart of the container, HA cannot find the Config path. Like everyones, my config changes so often that it is a mess and unorganized. Youve posted the same volumes and devices which my guide here mentions, and translates back to my docker run command.