herbs associated with medusa

Maybe Medusas true powers lie in the shadow feminine, taking vengeance upon those who have taken advantage of women and binding those who intend to do them harm. A loving priestess to his sister Athena, Poseidon sought the goddess Medusa while she was praying in Athenas temple and violated her. Medusa by Caravaggio has its base in the form of a shield. Metamorphoses Book V, by Ovid - Tells the story of Medusa from Greek mythology. Usually, when she reaches out, shes looking to work with you in particular based on your past traumatic experiences. The idea of encountering her was terrifying to the likes of men, for a single glance from her wide, yellow eyes would turn one to stone in an instant. They were created by Aphrodite in her grief upon finding the body of her human lover, Adonis. Be it Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Chinese, Japanese, Aztec, Mayan, you name it. Until next time, Nocturnal Blessings! The director chose to show her as a human woman who only turned terrifying once men looked into her eyes. Medusa herself had a chilling face topped with serpents that sprang from her hair. WebHermes, Greek god, son of Zeus and the Pleiad Maia; often identified with the Roman Mercury and with Casmilus or Cadmilus, one of the Cabeiri. Unlike other stories that claim she caught them in the throes of passion, this version says that she was upset that her priestess went against her rules. Call upon Medusa when her ire is most fitting. I typically dont find Medusa imagery useful for what I need that neglects the snakes, even some that are based on ancient depictions such as the Medusa Rondanini that resembles what Versace uses in his logo. Read on. You may be lucky enough to find Medusas Head plants ( Euphorbia caput-medusae) at a garden center that specializes in cacti and succulents. If you have a friend with a mature plant, ask if you can have a cutting to propagate your own plant. There are a number of herbs associated with matters related to money. WebFlavor & Aroma Profile. It wouldnt be too far fetched for a Sea Goddess like Medusa to have a horses body, especially as mother of Pegesus. Cherry quartz (a redder version of rose quartz) and clear Legend claims the was a giant who carried a golden sword. The following list is not even nearly a complete summary of all the exciting and vital plants and flowers from Greek myth. At Her shrine, at Night, I will light a black candle and incense, having as little light as needed to perform the spell. Shes not super soft to work with and she probably wont let you loll around. The pomegranate fruit was important as a symbol of fertility and marriage and played a role in several myths. Natures 9 Most Powerful Medicinal Plants and the Science Behind Them. A powerful figure commanding respect in times of adversity, the gorgon is not an entity to be trifled with. Among the earliest depictions of the Perseus and Medusa myth is a bas-relief from the seventh century BCE depicting Perseus averting his gaze as he beheads Medusa, although curiously She is depicted as a centaur with the lower half of a horse putting it from around the time of Hesiod. She is not only immortalized in stories but also in history. Apollo then took her wood to make his lyre. Joseph Campbell was one historian who believed this theory. Mix a bowl of spring water with some sea salt, wormwood, cedar, and rue. The men who saw Medusa were so terrified of her beauty that it left them mute and unable to speak. Beautiful Medusa, Serpentine Goddess, I summon You to this rite I host in Your honor! She was usually represented as a winged female creature having a head of hair consisting of snakes; unlike the Gorgons, she was sometimes represented as very beautiful. If you are handling it with your hands, wear gloves. She is astute in the ways of protection and lends her guardianship to those who need her most. Euphorbia requires at least six hours of direct sunlight per day and When Minerva caught them in the act, she changed Medusa into a terrifying Gorgon. When Elana Dkyewomon released a series of poems and short stories written by and for lesbians, she chose the Gorgon for the cover. Apollo fell in love with Evande, a daughter of Poseidon, who was raised by Aepytus. I just started my journey with Medusa slowly. Mimse gave Demeter a barley drink to sate herself. WebAlgol, usually considered a star of ill-fortune, is traditionally perceived as representing Medusas eye. In Clash of the Titans from 1981, she was a standard villain. Dionysios Skytobrachion wrote about her during the second century and claimed that she both lived and died in an area of Libya. They claim that she spent most of her life in Sarpedon, which was close to Cisthene with her Gorgon sisters and also died there. Herodotus found some evidence that she appeared in Berber mythology where she was a major part of their religion. She has been described by the Poet Ovid as having a beautiful face and long, flowing hair. Nowadays, many scholars feel that this tale may have been warped over time and that we shouldnt take the female monster at face value.. They have the power to overwhelm enemies with fear. Most legends claim that the hero Perseus killed her with help from Hermes and others. Much like in India where Kali is the destructive force of Durga, when equated to Kybele or Artemis, Medusa is the same. I highly recommend inviting Medusa into your practice if you find yourself in need of some of the strongest protective energies the Inferno has to offer. In this example, based on Euryale, the Gorgons are depicted the same as Athena on the reverse, so They are most likely less grotesque and more akin to Goddesses. Take the Evil Eye charm and fumigate it in the incense. Come, rise from the Hellish Pit on swift wing and turn to me Your petrifying gaze so You may witness this rite! Adamantine Guardian, enthroned in every kingdom, most powerful sorceress Who can destroy all curses, Whom none can conquer, not even Death, by which You gained Your divinity. You are free to take from it as you please, use all, part, or none of it, or even use it to inspire your own practice. They also had another group of sisters called the Graeae who appeared in Prometheus Bound written by Aeschylus. However, its important to note thatearlier myths of Medusa (such as that told by Homer) actually have no mention of Athena at all. She claimed that Medusa was the ultimate guardian and protectress of women. Chrysaor also came from Medusa. Place half the herbal mix into the urn and add the charm, then cover with the remaining herbs. They point out that she was a beautiful woman who turned into a monster but that all anyone remembers is that she is a monster. When you are done it is important to flatter the Goddess so She returns to Her guardian aspect:Empress Medusa, Lady of Snakes, Mother of the Golden Blade, I beg You to return to good form, and keep me in Your favor, as You are in mine, as Your humble servant. It is often cited as a story where Medusa is unjustly punished as the victim of rape. The sun god Apollo once mocked Aphrodites son, Eros. Though she died before Helios could save her, the god intervened and sprinkled her with fragrance so that she could live again as the frankincense tree. Corrections? She lost all of her looks and found snakes growing in her hair. Link will appear as Medusa: https://greekgodsandgoddesses.net - Greek Gods & Goddesses, February 7, 2017, Greek Gods and Goddesses 2010 - 2023 | About | Contact | Sitemap | Privacy, Seriphus sent Perseus to return with her head, Medusa: https://greekgodsandgoddesses.net. Cast in stone his/her/their evil intentions he/she/they may set against me, cast in stone the heart and mind of NN and drink his/her/their blood with your forked tongue! For these types of rituals I will offer Her red church wine, whole uncooked eggs, and spring water in addition to any ingredients or materials for my spellwork. While most iconography shows Her as simply a head, some of the most striking Medusa imagery comes from temples dedicated to Apollon of Miletus and Artemis of Corfu where we see the Gorgon full bodied, often with 4 wings coming from Her back, Her usual snakes, yet She is flanked by two lions in both instances, a direct reference to the cult of the Great Mother. Myrrha, or Smyrna, was cursed by Aphrodite in response to her mothers boasts that her beauty was more significant than the goddesss. If you use any of the content on this page in your own work, please use the code below to cite this page as the source of the content. Many later versions of the myth claimed that she was once a beautiful Gingko. Lets face it: Medusa is an intimidating presence, to say the least. Many still wrote of the maiden as a seductress despite her chastity bonds. She was a beautiful maiden with golden hair. In another popular myth about the story of Medusa, the so-called hero Perseus was sent to slay Medusa. In revenge, Eros shot him with an arrow that caused Apollo to fall in love with a river nymph named Daphne. He explained that when a man saw something frightening such as a naked woman, he associated it with his mother because it was his first experience with the female form. Offer Her spring flowers separate from those you used to asperge the idol as well as more incense, and sweet red church wine. Gorgons are described as winged serpentine creatures. After their wedding, he headed to Seriphos for his mothers wedding. Much less, if any man did, then he would be instantly turned into a statue and doomed to an eternity in stone. In later artwork, she appears as a more beautiful woman. Because of this, some may argue that Athena didnt know what she was doing in giving away that shield. It is a spring-blooming flower and would bloom when Persephone was outside of the Underworld. Hermes was distraught and reunited Crocus and Smilax by turning Crocus into a flower. As with everything I share, I am not proclaiming this as THE way, or even saying it is how the ancients themselves did it, although I do structure much of my practice around what we know about ancient cult. Crocus was later accidentally killed by him when they were playing discus. To sneak the fire past the watching eyes of the gods, he hid it inside of a fennel stalk. Among her early depictions were those in horror films from the 1960s. One of her works said that similar stories focused on sister trios and that authors likely added Medusas sisters. Mighty Protectress, by Your will and mine, the deed is done!. The blood from the left side was poisonous and used to destroy people, but the blood from the right was restorative. Hesiod used her in Theogony. However, afternoon shade is beneficial in hotter WebA gentle yet effective herb, Chamomile provides a sense of calm and can help soothe the nervous system. She is the Queen among the Gorgons, by far the most powerful. May I ask is it safe for me? As a result, she is persecuted further by the very gods she sought to serve. Aphrodite caused Myrrha to fall in love with her own father. ****This is highly toxic, especially to children and animals. Before we can explore how I serve Her we need to take a look at Her mythology and discover who She is.The most common version of Her myth you will see all over the internet is that of a once beautiful Medusa, Whose shining jewel was Her hair. She wanted to show the Gorgons head in a different way. You dream of the Goddess Medusa. Lend me Your power, Great Empress, that I may perform the task at hand and destroy my enemies whether they are material or spirit! Apple trees were significant in several different myths, especially those involving Hera. Youve been encountering statues and paintings of Medusa in your daily travels or receiving them as gifts. The Gorgon came out in 1964 and was a Hammer film that told a modern version of her story. Pindar wrote in 490 BC that she had fair cheeks. Aside from this, some things I associate and use with Medusa are malachite (as my Gorgons Eye stone), serpentine, snakeskin jasper, coral, whole raw eggs, Giovanni Versace loved the Medusa legend so much that he chose her as the mascot of his clothing brand. Just having a small amount of space to dedicate to an altar is a great way to start working with the gorgon. Whether you're looking to boost your financial wherewithal, land a new job, or just pad your bank account a little, try some of these magical herbs in your money-related workings. Once the working is done I offer Her incense, honey, milk, blackberries, black cherries, and or black figs. Medusas Head is a study released in 1940 after Freuds death. Minthe was a nymph who loved the god of the dead, Hades. Greek Mythology is known for its many fearsome beasts such Mantikhoras and Cyclopes. Her vessel not only stores Her dynamis but it is an active ward for protection. Fans of Percy Jackson & the Olympians will find that she pops up in both the original book and the film based on the book. Versace still uses a log of a woman with terrifying features and serpents coming from her head as its brand logo. Harrison believed that there was some evidence that Medusa was simply one woman and that the stories of her sisters came later. When she found them together, Athena transformed her into a woman with serpents in her hair and a cold stare. Myrrha went to him and slept with him, and became pregnant. The story begins in Book IV at line 898. She was so enchanting that She caught the attention of Neptune Who raped Her in the temple of Minerva. Take the snake head and place it on the sea sponge so it faces toward the front of the vessel. Spiritual practice is never an acceptable alternative for taking proper care of your health.). This leads us to our final point: Perseus wasnt supposed to survive his encounter with Medusa. In her form of Nemesis, Aphrodite punished him by cursing him so that he would fall in love with his own reflection. The coat of arms of the Dohalice village from the Czech Republic depicts Medusas head. In her myths she also shape shifted into a greyhound and an otter Sacred Birds: Hawks and hens. Herodotus the historian said her home was Libya. The legend of Medusa is well-known in Hellenic lore. The ancient Greeks depicted Medusa in various ways that seemed to evolve over time. When I am working with Her and I want to harness the power of Her ferocity, and Her petrifying gaze I will set up my work area so that it faces away from Medusa, and only look upon Her image in a mirror that is on the work altar. WebMedina is one of the most popular of all Afro Caribbean herbs, especially so in Jamaica where it is commonly used to combat a variety of ailments but it is probably best known of The head of Medusa is often described as being covered with snakes instead of hair. Medusa, in Greek mythology, the most famous of the monster figures known as Gorgons. WebRose geranium (Pelargonium graveolens, Geraniaceae) has anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties, and promotes wound healing. They manage to escape when Percy beheads her. Greek mythology found its way into many aspects of ancient Greek life, especially anything involving the natural world. I believe that deities exist in slightly different dimensions/realms yet their power extends to where we currently reside. Lavender. The closest I have ever come to finding iconography with a snake tail is winged Gorgon from a 6th century BCE shield where Medusa is depicted with a helmet and the tail of a serpentine fish and legs of a lion. At the time of her death, no one knew that the creature was with child, one she hoped to raise with Poseidon. Those familiar with my work know I do a lot with spiritual vessels and Medusa is no different. The Blood of Medusa (Right). Try sleeping with a symbol that represents the Goddess Medusa under your pillow if you want to connect during sleep. She has been featured in movies, books, cartoons and even video games. Even some 6,000 years ago, Her image was used to frighten as a stormy, wrathful aspect of the Mother Goddess. Around the outer edge arrange pieces of the eggshell. In the marble statue from the temple of Artemis in Corfu Medusa embraces Her children Pegasus and Chrysaor, as well as Her lions. However, if you want to do workings with Her for specific purposes such as cursing, protection, or removing hexes of the Evil Eye you must petition Her wrathful aspect. This doesnt need to be in huge ways. The three-headed dog of Hades, Cerberus (or Kerberos), was the fearsome guardian of the Underworld. The two quickly fell in love and married. There are several versions of the Medusa myth. Medusa had always been the most beautiful of her sisters, and as such, Poseidon coveted her very much. Aphrodite took pity on her and turned her into the myrrh tree, in which form she gave birth to Adonis. After all, Medusa took a vow of celibacy she never wanted to be touched in the first place. Medusa is so popular that LEGO created a mini-figure of her. Athena, angry that this could take place in her own temple, lashed out taking out her wrath on Medusa by turning her into a terrifying gorgon, and casting a curse for breaking her vow of celibacy. He treated other potential courtships similarly, believing himself too beautiful for them. 4 dram vial size. Read about Medusa in literature. In his eyes, Medusa was only scary because it linked castration to something that a man could see. As such, her realm covers all water-related magic, sea and storm witches, sailors, and the like. But what is the truth to this myth? Some historians believe that the story of Medusa has some basis in fact. He was found amongst a bed of violets, for which he was named. There are various versions of the story, but depending on which one you pick up, either Medusa seduced Poseidon or he was smitten with her and took her. Melt and carefully pour in the bees wax so they are covered and let cool.Next mix the serpentine root, black snake root, wormwood, henbane*, and belladonna*. The souls of the ordinary dead were sent to the Meadows, where they would harvest the asphodel as food. Combined with the gifts of Hades, Hephaestus, and Hermes, however, the protagonist of this story was certainly given a keen advantage before he was sent off to slay the so-called monster. In my experience, Medusa is very patient when she reaches out to someone she wants to work with. *These three resins are often sold together as Black Ethiopian resin, of which you would use 1 tbsp. Allan and I have been free of unnecessary drama or problems from our enemies which has been miraculous to say the least! The Goddess Medusa can help you break free from your chains. Updates? They were created by Aphrodite in her grief upon finding the body of her human lover, Adonis. It tells of a beautiful woman transformed into a gorgon: a hideous monster with venomous serpents for hair. If this is the case, then consider that the Goddess Medusa can help you learn how toembrace the unconventional parts of your soul. If youre just getting going working with the Goddess Medusa, start small. Still, either way, she bragged of her superiority to his wife, Persephone. Hephaestus also helped the young man with the gift of a sword. Her blood also led to the creation of the venomous vipers that roam the Sahara. She is also evoked to bring a spectral guard to protect the witch while conjuring this especially malicious form of Medusa. Legend says this is why so many of the desert areas in that region have so many snakes today. Minerva turned Her gaze and hid Her grey eyes behind Her aegis to protect Her chaste sight from the act. Adonis had been killed by a ravaging boar, and while Aphrodite wept over his body, his blood on the grass transformed into the fl One of the sisters on the show found a woman who summoned the creature to punish men. Harrison further backed up her claims with a translation that said the horror did not come from the woman but that the horror gave birth to the woman. In feminism Medusa is known as a symbol of rage even though she was originally exceedingly beautiful. As far as Medusa, while She is indeed a monster, She is above all a powerful Goddess. An urn type vessel with a lid (I use either antique sugar bowls or terracotta cantarito cups that I cap off with small terracotta planter dishes which can be easily painted, legend mentions it as a bronze urn). When Percy travels to a garden to find the Pearl of Persephone with his friends, they stumble across statues and realize they were humans she turned into stone. Medusa spent the rest of her days wandering the earth alone. This particular vessel is based on the myth where Athena gives Herakles a snake lock from Medusas head in an urn. Of the choices choanocytes, medusa, spicules, or gemmules, Medusa is the option that is not associated with sponges. Oftentimes when we see this version of the myth recounted Minerva is replaced with Athena, and Neptune with Poseidon. Curl Your blackened lips and bear Your venomous fangs! Now, with snakes for hair and a long serpentine body, what man would ever dare to look upon her? The 20 Best Norse Mythology Books You Should Read. If you are seeking aid or guardianship after a domestic dispute, evoke the power of Medusa. Thats not to say that Medusa exactly encourages victimization. Hercules then went to Tegea and met with Sterope who was the daughter of Cepheus. Hera and Athenas vengeance for this slight led directly to the Trojan War. The goddess Medusa may also reveal herself in dreams or through symbols in life, such as the snake, or by sending other outcasts your way. The once lovely hair was morphed into poisonous, dangerous snakes. I will say, since I have started serving Medusa as an active force in my cult and witchcraft the results have been beyond astounding. You can connect to Medusa on a deeper level by meditating near the beach or a body of water encircled with calming sounds. Pegasus, the famous horse with wings, arose from her dead body. Athena removed a lock of the womans hair and gave it to Hercules. When Evande became pregnant, Aepytus mocked her for it since she was unmarried. Medusa doesnt just choose anyone she selected you because you are a warrior and because she wants you to learn how to stand up for yourself and fight back in one specific way. This will purify and cleanse the image so Medusa comes to you appeased, reminded of Her love of Poseidon. She wears snake jewellery and a chiffon fishtail skirt. Her hair forms long curls that, according to Mattel, foretell the serpents that will become her hair. Moon (many, including Orpheus disciples, have seen Medusas face in the moon) In this incantation Hekate is evoked as Mother of the Gorgons. When it comes to the body of Medusa there are two kinds available on the market, one with the body and legs of a woman, the other the torso of a woman and the tail of a snake. Medusa is now accepted as a symbol of female empowerment, divine rage, and justice. The meaning of Medusa is powerful. The herald of the gods, Hermes, was born of the eldest Pleiad nymph Maia and Zeus, king of the gods. Medusas power extends to those who need aid in these areas, so seek her out if youre looking for guidance while trying to conceive or experiencing any sort of reproductive health issues. The sisters convince her to change her mind before the Gorgon can slaughter the men. Next, enthrone Her in Her shrine or altar where She will be housed as sacred space. One of the most popular monsters of Greek Mythology is Medusa. Some people find they benefit from using them together. Medusa is also counted as one of the Gorgons, three daughters of Phorcus. Most of this is personal experience so keep in mind that youll need to tailor your own worship to fit your beliefs, lifestyle, and needs! Medusa is all about finding your own inner power and using it, so this reading has always made sense to me. Legend says that Medusa was one of three children born to Phorcys. 20 Important Plants and Flowers in Greek Mythology, Important Plants and Flowers in Greek Myth, 11 Important Types of Nymph in Greek Mythology, 25 Facts About Isis from Egyptian Mythology. Medusa was the only Gorgon who was mortal; hence her slayer, Perseus, was able to kill her by cutting off her head. Often they had extensive knowledge of herbs to compliment their spiritual practice, including contraceptives like the seeds of poplars and willows, silphium from The Goddess Medusa loves to help her children find their own ways of breaking free! Feeling as though his work was done, Perseus tracked down Athena and presented her with the head. She was never raped by the Lord of the Sea, Poseidon, but His lover. Turmeric. Your email address will not be published. I also think that Medusawanted the power of the snakes; though the transition may have been difficult, she probablychose to live this life of protection. The severed head, which had the power of turning into stone all who looked upon it, was given to Athena, who placed it in her shield; according to another account, Perseus buried it in the marketplace of Argos. So that it wouldnt go unpunished She turned Medusas hair to twisting foul snakes. Though Athena helped Perseus defect the woman, she knew the powers that her former head held. Dedicate altar space to Medusa. Her apotropaic and protective abilities are rooted in Her frightfulness, and Her power to kill with venom or petrification. Sometimes She is gruesome, sometimes She is beautiful, and sometimes She is only Her eyes or a single eye used much like modern Evil Eye talismans often worn as jewelry or depicted on drinking cups. The Goddess Medusa is a known guardian and as such, lends her aid to those who need her protection. Now that we have the myths and iconography explained, we can dive into how I serve Her. Medusas Head euphorbia is suitable for growing outdoors in USDA hardiness zones 9b through 11. Widen Your frightening eyes, flashing with fire, and look upon (enemys NN) so he/she/they may be destroyed! Adonis had been killed by a ravaging boar, and while Aphrodite wept over his body, his blood on the grass transformed into the flowers. The portrait was done on a convex board made out of poplar with Medusas visage, bringing out its reference to Aegis. Born of the sea gods Phorcys and Ceto, it is often forgotten that Medusa herself is a goddess of the sea. Born to the sea god Phorcys and Ceto (Phorcys wife and sister), Medusa (queen or ruler) was one of the three Gorgon sisters. From then on, men would fear the very sight of her, and Medusa would be protected from the unwanted touch of them. Daphne had sworn herself to perpetual virginity and refused him. Her profile is engraved on coins of the reign of Seleceus I Nicator of Syria from 312-280 B.C. He eventually judged Aphrodite as the fairest. This can be a really direct sign that Medusa wants to be in your life. Long before Medusa faced off with Perseus, there was Poseidon. She isa guide to many women and a source of power, wisdom and creativity to those who seek her assistance. With her attested ability to turn men to stone, Medusa assists in bindings, particularly binding those who pose a threat to women. Hail the Guardian Queen!. Like Crocus, Hyacinth was killed in a discus game, possibly deliberately by a vengeful wind god. I recommend infusing them with an intention before applying them to give them a personal energetic boost. To the ancients Medusa was an extremely powerful guarding force and it would appear She never truly lost Her connection to the Mother Goddess despite Her sinister reputation. And this is usually Medusas mission: to teach you how to protect yourself, your energy, and your soul. From then on she roamed, shamed, shunned and loathed by everyone. When the king turned to the Gods, they agreed to help as they worried about what the creature could do. Poseidon tempted her into having sexual intercourse with him in a temple to Athena. Hope you found the article useful, please comment below! Do this, Goddess, and I will serve You as Your station demands! Botanics have always held the interest of those interested in nature and the creation of life. Medusa represents a strong, wise, powerful female who has tapped into the ancient wisdom and medicine that snakes carry. It is the tale of the deep cut of societys knife: creating, blaming, and demonizing the victim for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If this isnt your preferred medium, then creating any sort of art for Medusa is perfectly fine. Athena responded by creating the first olive tree.